Trending Wildlife Tours in Kenya
Custom made to give the jungle experience in your own style.
Samburu National Park
Is popularly known for the award-winning movie and bestselling book called “Born Free”. This is because it was the home of Elsa the Lioness one of the stars in the movie. The Samburu National Park is found in the rift valley province of Kenya boarded by River Ewaso Nyiro that separates it for the Buffalo Springs. Sambura National Reserve is located 345 kms from Nairobi city with an arid and semi-arid climate. The reserve is one of those in Kenya with an abundance of rare spiece of the gravy zebras, Reticulated giraffe and Beisa Oryx (Samburu special)
What to do or Attractions in Samburu National Park
- Ewaso Ngiro River
- Wildlife; giraffes, Grevy’s Zebra, long necked Gerenuk, Beisa Oryx, lion, leopard, cheater, wild dog, elephants and Pancake tortoise
- Birdlife of 450 specie like Somali Ostrich, Taita falcon, Lesser Kestrel, African Darter, Great Egret, White-headed Vulture, Martial Eagle and the Yellow-billed Ox-pecker
- Samburu tribe
- Sights of Buffalo Springs National Reserve
How to get/ reach Samburu Game Reserve
This is the most common type of transportation to the park and it will take you approximately 5-6 hrs. from Nairobi city as you get to do more of sightseeing. The roads are in good condition but as you get closer to the park, the roads are Marram and you may experience the African Massage. We recommend you use a 4×4 Vehicle and this ranges from Us dollars $200-$350 per day minus drivers’ allowance.
Best time to Visit Samburu
We recommend the dry months of December- March and June-October where there is a high volume of wildlife in the reserve. Although you can visit in other months when it’s a wet season April and November with low numbers of wildlife.
Activities in Samburu National Park
- Game drives
- Walking safari
- Cultural tours
- Bird watching
Where to stay in Samburu Game Reserve?
The reserve has a number of lodges, permanent campsites and special campsites which cover everyone’s budget.
- Lodges; Samburu Game Lodge, Samburu Larsens’ Camp, Samburu Sopa, Saruni Samburu, Elephant Watch camp and Elephant Bedroom.
- Special campsites; Doom Palm , Gevy campsite, Impala Campsite, Game trackers, Lion King Safari
- Public Campsite; Vervet Monkey, Kingfisher, Butterfly and Kigelia
For your planning purposes you can visit the park for a day or multiple days depending on your budget. We recommend that you combine this tour with other classical places in Kenya like Masai Mara, Amboseli, Lake Baringo, Lake Naivasha, Aberdare and Lake Nakuru. Further this can also be combined with a safari to Uganda for gorillas and chimpanzees plus a Tanzania combination with Serengeti, Tarangire and Mountain Kilimanjaro.