Top safari experiences in Rwanda
Safari Destinations in Rwanda
What to do or Attractions in Volcanoes National Park
- Gorilla trekking in Rwanda
- Wildlife like like the spotted hyena, buffaloes, golden monkey, bushbuck and black-fronted duiker
- Birdlife like Ruwenzori Double-collared sunbird, Brown-necked Parrot, Ruwenzori batis, Doherty’s bush-shrike, Ruwenzori turaco, Dusky turtle dove, Scarlet-tufted, malachite sunbird, Grauer’s swamp warbler
- Swamps and lakes like twin lakes of Ruhondo and Bulera, Rugezi swamp
- Cultural encounters of the Rwandese people
- Hiking Karisimbi Volcano and Mount Bisoke, Mount Muhabura, Mount Gahinga and Mount Sabyinyo.
- Fishing trips
- Boat rides
- Musanze Caves
How to get there/ reach Volcanoes N.P
This is the most common type of transportation to the park and it will take you approximately 2hrs from Kigali city. We recommend you use a 4×4 Vehicle and this ranges from Us dollars $200-$350 per day minus drivers’ allowance.
When you use public transport it only stops on the main road and the roads leading to the park require private car arrangement which you can find in Musanze area.
However, you can travel via Gisenyi town or Musanze town.
Best time to Visit
We recommend the dry months of December- January and June-August where there is a high volume of wildlife in the reserve. Although you can visit in other months when it’s a wet season April and November with low numbers of wildlife. But be rest assured that gorilla trekking is open throughout the year.
- Gorilla trekking / Tracking
- Boat rides
- Community and cultural encounters
Where to stay in Volcanoes National Park
Luxury; Five Volcanoes Boutique Hotel, Mountain Gorilla View Lodge, The 5 Volcanoes Lodge, Ruzizi Tented Camp, Bisate Lodge, Virunga Lodge, Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge
Midrange; Le Bambou Gorilla Lodge, Da Vinci Lodge, Karenge Bush Camp, Hotel Muhabura, La Palme Hotel, Gorilla Nest Lodge, Garr Hotel, Gorillas Volcanoes Hotel, Garden Place Hotel, Best view hotel, Mountain Gorillas Nest Lodge
Budget; The Garden Place Hotel, Kinigi Guesthouse and Villa Gorilla
For your planning purposes, you can visit the park for a day or multiple days depending on your budget.
We recommend that you combine this tour with other classical places in Rwanda like Akagera N.P for other wildlife and boat rides, Nyungwe N.P for chimpanzee trekking and canopy walk.
Lastly, the Kigali city tour where you will visit the genocide grounds and participate in Kitzina ceremonies.
In conclusion, Volcanoes N.P being the first and primary area for gorilla trekking in Rwanda means you will never be disappointed when you add it to your safari while in Rwanda.
Forever Africa Safari offers a variety of gorilla trekking safari options at unbeatable rates. Contact us for the best rates at email@example.com or call us /WhatsApp us +256 772 221 880 to start planning your safari/tour today!